The Technical University of Berlin, Faculty VI – Institut for Architecture / Chair of international Urbanism and Design (Habitat Unit), welcomes applications for 1 Post-doc grant funded by MODSCAPES.
Research Assistant (PostDoc) – 0.5 working time – salary grade E13 TV-L Berliner Hochschulen
City: Berlin; Starting Date: 01/01/18; Duration: until 30/09/2019; Remuneration: E13;
Closing date: 17/11/17
In the framework of the MODSCAPES project, a collaborative research project funded under the
HERA-Humanities in the European Research Area JRP-Joint Research Program 3rd call (“Uses of the Past”), we are looking for candidates for 1 post-doc Research Assistant.
• The candidate will integrate the TUB team which deals with three case studies (Pontine Plan – Italy; Italian colonial Settlements – Libya; Brandenburg and Mecklenburg Vorpommern in the GDR – Germany).
He/ She will integrate and carry on the research already produced by the TU team members, in specific
literature review, archival and field research, for those three case studies.
• The candidate will also contribute to the TU Berlin team to test innovative methodologies for identifying current changes and challenges occurring in modernist rural landscapes of the above-mentioned three case studies, in order to complement the historical research with data about today, and so mapping the legacies of the political regimes.
• He/she will focus on the comparative evaluation of the data produced by the other MODSCAPES team members about all the case studies, in particular related to the workpackages “Memories and Perceptions”, which deals with the narratives of the former and current inhabitants of the modern rural landscape, and “Sociocultural Impact” of the agricultural development and colonization schemes on the current local, national and international society.
• To develop literature review, conduct archival and field research on the indicated case studies, to integrate the collected material and contribute to both knowledge on the case study, on the MODSCAPES topic, and an original reflective contribution to the development of knowledge in the field of spatial design.
• To experiment innovative and inclusive bottom-up approaches to map the current challenges the modern landscapes is undergoing in the above-mentioned case studies, elaborating best-practices and creative solutions for a trans-disciplinary and trans-sectorial approach in the management of this emerging heritage.
• To elaborate a comparative evaluation of the material related to the two workpackages managed by the TU Berlin team.
• To collaborate to the research project management and to the organization of MODSCAPES’ planned events and activities.
• To produce conference papers and contributions, as well as collaborate to the project’s planned deliverables, including scientific papers in international journals and MODSCAPES project reports, papers, monograph and exhibition.
• Successfully completed university degree (Diplom, Master or equivalent) in architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, regional planning and a PhD in a relevant subject of international urban studies.
• Experience in the field (archival research, fieldwork, architectural / urban / landscape design);
• Excellent German and English language skills, both oral and writing,
• Availability for regular travels to partners’ host institutions (Italy, Portugal, Belgium, Estonia).
• Basic knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Greek are a plus for interacting with the European research team and their case studies.
• Ongoing or preexisting research carried out on the research topic, research case studies and/or interaction with the MODSCAPES project and/or its partners.
• Knowledge of GIS applications and management of georeferenced databases.
• Strong interest for modernist architecture and urban design, for geography and rural development, for colonial studies and cultural heritage; excellent knowledge of 20th century architectural and urban design history and theory; original perspective on the current practice and research trends in the discipline;
Closing date 17/11/17
Fakultät VI, Institut für Architektur / FG Entwerfen und internationale Urbanistik (Habitat Unit),
Ms. Dr. Capresi, Sekr. A 53, Straße des 17. Juni 135, 10623 Berlin